IMS And Dry Needling in Richmond, Surrey, and New Westminster BC
Intramuscular stimulation (IMS) is a dry needling therapeutic technique where thin, filiform needles are used to penetrate the skin and stimulate underlying myofascial trigger points. This technique is used to relieve pain and muscle tension, increase circulation, and promote healing.
At Cambie Physiotherapy in Surrey, Richmond and New Westminster, BC, our experienced physiotherapists use dry needling to treat a variety of conditions, including chronic pain, sports injuries, and poor posture. Let’s learn more about dry needling therapy in our Richmond, Surrey and New Westminster, BC locations.
What To Expect From Dry Needling
Dry needling is a safe and effective rehabilitative technique for a range of conditions. Here’s what to expect from a treatment:
- Assessment: Before the procedure, your physiotherapist will conduct a thorough assessment of your condition and medical history to determine whether dry needling is an appropriate treatment option for you.
- Treatment: For the dry needling treatment, the needle will be inserted into the skin and muscle, and you may feel a slight prick or tingling sensation. Your physiotherapist will then move the needle around in a specific pattern to stimulate the trigger point and release tension.
- Side effects: You may experience a twitch response in the muscle, which is a sign that the needle has stimulated the trigger point. This is a normal response and is a sign that the treatment is working. There may be other side effects such as soreness and bruising, however, these usually resolve quickly.
- Aftercare: After the treatment, your physiotherapist may provide you with specific aftercare instructions, such as avoiding strenuous activity and performing specific stretches or exercises to help with your recovery.
The length and frequency of the treatment will depend on your specific condition and needs. Multiple sessions may be needed to achieve optimal results.
Benefits Of Dry Needling Therapy
Dry needling is a safe and effective treatment technique that has many benefits when performed by a trained physiotherapist. Some of the key benefits of dry needling include:
- Pain relief: Dry needling is highly effective at reducing pain, whether it's chronic or acute.
- Improved range of motion: Dry needling can help to release muscle tension, which can improve range of motion and mobility.
- Faster healing: Dry needling can improve blood flow to the affected area, which can help to speed up the healing process.
- Reduced muscle tightness: Dry needling is highly effective at reducing muscle tightness and spasms.
- Improved performance: For athletes, dry needling can help to improve overall performance by improving muscle health. This can help athletes to perform at their best and avoid injuries.
Dry Needling And IMS At Cambie Physiotherapy
At Cambie Physiotherapy, our team of physiotherapists have extensive experience in using dry needling physiotherapy in Richmond and Surrey to help patients achieve optimal health and wellness. We are committed to providing our patients with the highest level of care and work closely with each patient to develop a customized plan that meets their unique needs and goals.
If you are interested in learning more about dry needling and IMS or would like to schedule an appointment with one of our physiotherapists, please contact us today. We look forward to helping you achieve optimal health and wellness!
Physiopedia. Dry Needling. Available from: https://www.physio-pedia.com/Dry_needling