Exercises for Mid Back Pain
Back pain that occurs anywhere between the neck's base and the rib cage's lower rim is considered middle back pain. Mid-back pain is a common condition that affects people of all ages and lifestyles. Finding relief for your mid-back pain in Richmond is important to ensure that you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Sufficient rest, physiotherapy in Surrey, and a specific exercise program can help to alleviate your mid-back pain. This article will examine exercises at Cambie Physiotherapy that ease mid-back pain.
Causes of Mid-back Pain
Some of the reasons you are feeling pain in your mid-back include:
- Poor posture
- Impact trauma
- Herniated discs
- Muscle strain or sprain
- Excess weight
- Sleeping positions.
- Poor physical conditioning
- Underlying medical conditions
Several factors also increase your chances of developing pain in the middle of your back. These include older age, obesity, poor fitness levels, smoking, underlying medical conditions, etc.
How to Manage Mid-back Pain
You can manage mid-back pain can be managed through home remedies (pain relief medications), physiotherapy in Westminster, BC, and surgery.
Exercises are one of the most effective non-invasive treatment options for managing mid-back pain in New Westminster, BC. These exercises include stretches, strengthening, aerobics, mobility, posture correcting, etc. Some of the most common examples of exercises for mid-back pain in Richmond include:
This exercise improves the spine's mobility and stretches the muscles in the middle of the back. To perform this exercise, follow these steps:
- Get down on your hands and knees, with your hands directly below your shoulders and knees behind your hips.
- After getting into position, round your back upward like a cat, tucking your chin into your chest.
- Hold the cat position for a few minutes before moving into the cow position.
- To do the cow pose, arch your back downward, lifting your chest and tailbone towards the ceiling.
- Repeat this exercise until you feel a fluid in motion.
Bird Dog Exercise
This exercise improves stability and encourages a neutral spine. To perform this exercise, these are the steps to follow:
- Start on your hands and knees. Ensure your hands are aligned below your shoulder and your knees beneath your hips.
- Extend your left arm forward and extend your left leg backward simultaneously, keeping both limbs parallel to the floor.
- Hold this position for a few seconds, then return to your starting position.
- Repeat on the opposite side and switch for as long as you like.
This exercise targets the muscles in the middle of the back and promotes spinal rotation. To perform this exercise, follow these steps:
- Sit with your legs extended in front of you.
- Bend your right knee and place your right foot outside your left thigh.
- Twist your torso towards the right, placing your left elbow outside your right knee.
- Hold this stretched position and repeat on the other side as often as possible.
These are the steps to follow to perform the Superman exercise:
- Get into position by lying face down on the floor with your legs straight, and arms extended overhead.
- Form a “Superman” position by lifting your arms, chest, and legs off the ground simultaneously.
- Hold the Superman position for a while before lowering yourself back down.
This exercise aims to elongate the muscles of the back and promote relaxation. To perform the “Child pose” exercise, follow these steps:
- Get down on your hands and knees.
- While in the starting position, sit on your heels while lowering your chest to the floor.
- Extend your arms before you and relax your forehead as it touches the ground.
Other exercises in New Westminster, BC, that help to manage and treat mid-back pain include thread-the-needle, back extensions, thoracic extensions, Latissimus Dorsi stretch, plank, wall angels, elbow openers, etc.
Regular exercise participation will significantly alleviate mid-back pain, increase flexibility, and strengthen the core muscles. At Cambie Physiotherapy, our skilled physiotherapists will create a specifically curated exercise program to relieve pain in the middle of your back.